Sipora Gurung as Spunky Sipora
Official Nike Showroom
The Core Studio, International
Club Premises, Sanepa Lalitpur
“I can’t eat food I don’t like. I’d rather eat a chocolate bar and drink some juice than eat something that my taste buds disagree with,” explained Sipora reaching over for the Chicken Butter Masala, “but this food is good.” Sipora Gurung was paving a path for her volleyball career when a devastating knee injury brought things to a screeching halt. After a successful knee surgery, the incident has left a scar on her knee, but has done little to dampen her spirits. Talented, sporty and a sight for sore eyes, Sipora is back on the bandwagon. We loved hanging out with the spirited sport and can’t wait to see her spiking a ball over the net in competition.
I started playing volleyball at a very early age. Back then, I had no thoughts of becoming a professional player, I just played because I loved it and by the time I grew up, without realising I was already into it.
2. Who is your favourite athlete or sportsman/ woman of all time and why?
Maria Sharapova is my all-time favourite. During my injury period, I used to watch all her injury videos and how she got back from it, which motivated and inspired me a lot.
3. Who do you look up to most in life?
Definitely my mom, she is my idol.
4. What would you say is your strongest and weakest trait?
I am a hard worker and a go- getter. Coming to my weakest trait, it would be my lack of time management skills.
5. How important is fitness for an athlete or a common person?
I think fitness is very important whether it be an athlete or a common person.
6. Your views on making a comeback from an injury
It was really hard when people did not understand what I was going through. Life taught me a great lesson; I got to know about the cruel side of the world and even learnt to deal with it. I knew volleyball was my passion and I had to get back to it, and when I finally did, I felt like I was on top of the world.
7. Are you Single at the moment? What qualities are required in a man to sweep you off your feet?
YES! I am. Well I’m very selective in nature, so a guy would have to do a lot to impress me.
8. What is your idea of a perfect date?
A day hike, on a beautiful day at a beautiful place
9. You have any plans of shifting careers in the future?
Right now, I have no plans as such.
10. If you were given 10 lakhs what would you do?
I would spend it on my kids for their academic excellence, (I work for orphans)!
11. What attracts you the most, brains or looks?
Brains for sure.
12. Is there something you wish you were better at?
I wish could sing as well haha!
13. Do you like experimenting with new things in life?
A big yes, I LOVE experimenting with new things in life.
14. What super power do you dream of having?
I have never thought about that. I have seen so many people who have done a lot without having superpowers, so I would like to follow their path instead.
15. Staying cosy at home with family or partying all night?
I am a very boring person; I choose to stay cosy at home.
16. Is there anything that people don’t know about you yet?
I dance, I may not be very good at it, but I love it!