CLEAN EATING MADE EASY AND TASTY
If you workout for hours at the gym but still eat junk all day you’re never going to get the results of your efforts. Experts say that getting the desired results is 80% dependent on your diet and 20% on your workouts. For most people this constraints their diet to sorry salads, dry chicken and fruits. You don’t have to be “most people”. Eating healthy doesn’t mean that you have to force yourself to eat food that your taste buds despise. Not only does this make life seem less worth living it demotivates you from sticking to your diet. As a result you lose control and binge eat all the things you were keeping yourself from eating; think w burgers, a pizza and a chocolate shake in one sitting.
Keep your taste buds happy and there’s a better chance you will stick to healthy eating. Here’s something that will help keep you on track without resorting to tasteless foods that you have to force down your gullet. Bon appétit!
LEMON MINT WAFFLES WITH STRAWBERRY SAUCE
People say you should eat breakfast like a king, and we agree. It is the most important meal of the day and devouring scrumptiously delicious food helps brighten up your entire day. This is an amazingly tasty, protein filled alternative to the mediocre pancake with honey or toast and eggs. Fix up a breakfast like this and you’re sure to strike the right chords with the missus.
- 1 cup sprouted whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup plain flour
- 1/3 cup quinoa flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp hemp protein powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp raw honey
- 1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp grated lemon rind
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped mint
- 1 1/2 cup coconut milk or almond milk
- Frozen strawberries for the sauce (about 1 cup)
o In a large bowl, stir together whole wheat, plain and quinoa flour. Stir in baking soda, baking powder and hemp protein powder. Set aside.
o In a smaller bowl, mix together vanilla extract, honey, lemon juice, lemon rind and mint. Add to flour mixture alongside milk.
o Stir the contents into a nice paste and then whisk batter for 3-5 minutes to help it become light and fluffy.
o Pour into a greased, preheated waffle iron and cook.
FOR STRAWBERRY SAUCE
Cook down 1 cup chopped fresh or frozen berries with 1/4 tsp lemon juice until they are soft and juicy.
When the waffles are ready, drizzle with sauce and fresh fruit.
SALMON WITH SALAD
Salmon is a great dish which is sophisticated and if prepared right can bring an explosive array of flavors to the tongue. And its health quotient cannot be questioned. This meal requires a fair deal of preparations but the results are well worth it. Call up a few close friends to join you for the meal.
RECIPE: SERVINGS: 6 (INGREDIENTS)
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 five-ounce salmon fillets
- salt and pepper
- 1 ½ cups olives, minced
- 1 small red pepper, diced
- 1 small yellow pepper, diced
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 bunch parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- Juice from 3 lemons
- 3 lettuce heads, halved
- 2 bunches watercress (locally known as sim rayo), halved
- 1 cup red bliss potatoes, boiled and quartered
- 1 cup green beans, blanched and cut
- 1 cup tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup boiled egg, chopped
- 1 lemon
- Preheat an oven to 350.
- Add 2 tbsp oil to a hot nonstick pan. Lightly season the salmon fillets with salt and pepper and add to the hot oil. Sear for 3 minutes on each side.
- Put the salmon in a baking pan and place it in the oven for 3 to 5 minutes. Set aside while assembling salad.
FOR DRESSING :
- Combine 1 cup of olives, red and yellow peppers, shallots, parsley, oregano, garlic, red pepper flakes, lemon juice, and 1 1/2 cups extra-virgin olive oil.
- Stir until well mixed. The finished dressing is called Salmoriglio sauce.
- Place the lettuce, watercress, potatoes, 1/2 cup olives, green beans, and tomatoes in a mixing bowl.
- Lightly coat the salad with the dressing.
- Place the salad on one half of the plate, salmon on the other, and garnish with chopped egg or the salmon can be placed on top of the salad as preferred.
- Spoon a small amount of dressing onto the salmon and place a lemon wedge on the side.
(Serving Size 563.0g) – Amount per Serving
Calories – 335
Calories from Fat – 115 % Daily Value
Total Fat 12.8g – 20%
Saturated Fat 3.2g – 16%
Trans Fat – 0.0g
Cholesterol 223mg – 74%
Sodium 534mg – 22%
Potassium 788mg – 23%
Total Carbohydrates 28.6g – 10%
Dietary Fiber 8.7 g – 35%
Sugars – 2.5g
Protein – 24.5g
Vitamin A – 84%
Vitamin C – 49%
Calcium – 19%
Iron – 19%
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet (Nutritional details are an estimate and should only be used as a guide for approximation.)
SPICY QUINOA (CHINU) AND BBQ CHICKEN
Locally known as Chinu, Quinoa is one of the healthiest nutrient rich alternatives for cereals like wheat and even rice. In comparison to cereal grasses like wheat, quinoa is higher in fat content and can provide valuable amounts of heart-healthy fats like monounsaturated fat (in the form of oleic acid). Quinoa can also provide small amounts of the omega-3 fatty acid, alpha-linolenic acid (ALA). Best of all, it is a great source of protein, something other cereals cannot provide as effectively. Embrace the goodness of Quinoa with this healthy meal. And we know you’re always up for a quick BBQ! We know we are.
RECIPE: SERVINGS: 4 (INGREDIENTS)
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 chicken breasts
- 200 grams of French beans topped and tailed
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 8-9 Tbs of oil
- 1/2 cup chopped sundried tomatoes plus
- 3 tbs oil from this bottle of sundried tomatoes
- 2 bullet Chillies, seeds removed and finely chopped
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 3/4 cup pistachio nuts
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onions
- 4 sprigs Rosemary
- 1 large lettuce
- Extra salt and black pepper for seasoning
- Extra oil for BBQ
- Mix the cinnamon, nutmeg, paprika, salt, ginger and garlic and 4 TBs of oil together, add salt and black pepper for seasoning.
- Create shallow cuts in the chicken breasts and marinate in the spice mix for at least 2 hours.
- Boil the quinoa in 2 cups of water until tender. ( Around 10 minutes ) Drain in cold water . Add salt, pepper and the juice of 1/2 lemon.
- Blanch the French beans in hot boiling water for 3 minutes then plunge into ice cold water. This is a great trick to keep their bright green color.
- In a large bowl mix the quinoa, red onion, French beans, sun-dried tomatoes and bullet chillies. Pour over the sun-dried tomato oil.
- Place lettuce in the base of your serving dish. Squeeze the juice of half a lemon over the leaves and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat up the barbecue and when the grill is medium hot
- Place the chicken on the grill and barbecue for 8-9 minutes, turning constantly until golden brown. Keep brushing the chicken with oil using the Rosemary branches.
- Sprinkle over the marinade and some extra black pepper for crunch as you barbecue, to keep the chicken moist and succulent.
- When you have finished grilling, slice into thick pieces and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Add the quinoa mixture to the lettuce based platter.
- Add the sliced grilled chicken on top.
- Finally add the pistachio nuts, the sesame seeds and finish with a scattering of chopped parsley.
SWEET POTATO PANCAKES
We’d hate for you to have the same breakfast two days in a row, so here’s another breakfast meal that will put a spring to your step throughout the day.
RECIPE SERVINGS: 1 (INGREDIENTS)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup mashed cooked sweet potato (about 1 medium/ large sweet potato)
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tsp honey
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 bananas sliced (or 1 cup blueberries)
- 2tbsp chopped almonds (any other dry fruits as desired)
- 1/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- Whisk flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl until blended, whisk egg, sweet potato, milk, honey, oil, and vanilla in medium bowl until smooth. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients; mix with rubber spatula until blended.
FOR SWEET POTATOES
- To cook sweet potatoes in the microwave, scrub them and pat dry.
- Prick in several places with a fork. Wrap individually in paper towels.
- Microwave on High, 5-8 minutes for one, 10 to 12 minutes for two, or 15-20 minutes for four. (If microwave does not have a turntable, turn sweet potatoes over midway through cooking).
- Let stand 5 minutes. Make a slit in each potato and scoop out the flesh.
- Coat large nonstick skillet or griddle with cooking spray; heat over medium heat.
- Spoon about 1/4 cup batter for each pancake into skillet; cook until bottoms have browned and small bubbles form on top, about 3 minutes.
- Flip and cook until pancakes are browned and cooked through, about 2 minutes. (Adjust heat as necessary for even browning)
- Coat waffle iron with cooking spray; heat iron.
- Spoon in enough batter to cover 3/4 of the surface of each section, close iron and cook until waffles are crisp and golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes
- Top pancakes or waffles with bananas (or blueberries), a sprinkling of nuts, and pour honey.